Despite the fact that I love this balmy summer weather, my pulse quickens at the thought of the new season. "It's still too hot to shop", I hear, but if you want to get the full selection of the hottest trends this season, our major designers have started to drop their latest collections. As every discerning shopper knows, fashion waits for no one. And autumn/winter 2013 has a lot to get excited about. If your not quite sure where to start, here are some trends to kickstart the season.
1) Matchstick Pants - For the seasonal transition, I'm slipping on a pair of matchstick pants with a fresh crop of sweaters silky boyfriend tops and blazers. Cut close to the body and cropped right at the ankle, matchstick pants are universally flattering and add are slightly more formal touch to your everyday look. TK, Karen Walker, Liam and our own Sisters range all have a wide variety on offer. Stick to black or more neutral colours, but don't be afraid to add a splash of colour or texture. Style them with suede ankle boots or a pair of pointed-toe pumps to look smoking hot for autumn.
2) The Oversized Coat - Similar to a poncho style, the oversized coat is a huge hit this season. Comfy, warm and stylish.
3) Boyfriend Cardis - The most flattering cardigans for many body types is a shrunken boyfriend silhouette - the sleek v-neck and straight shape is perfect for all body types and great for layering in between seasons.
4) The Blazer - The Blazer has become a wardrobe staple - dress down with jeans and a casual shirt, or pop on over a gorgeous dress. A great piece for framing a silhouette and available in an array of styles and colours. Invest in a few different ones.
5) Gold - With the baroque trend coming through, gold is the colour when it comes to accessories. Wear gold jewellery with the gorgeous jewel hues of the season, or pop on a gold belt - or a leather one with gold trimmings. Choose garments using fabrics with a hold lurex running through, or better still a gold jacquard as a statement piece, such as a shift dress.
6) Pointed Shoes and Coots - Update your look immediately with the new pointed toe style. Combined with a flattering T-bar, this is the vogue look of the season. Dress up with hosiery and a sexy dress, or dress down with jeans and a jumper.
7) Buckle Up - Belts are everywhere this season - on shirts, coats, knits, dresses, and in a variety of materials like leather, chains, or coloured synthetics. It's time to buckle up, and you dont necessarily need to break the bank. Get the famous Karen Walker Captain's Belt in pastels or tans or step up to a Veronica B chain belt or a simple TK hip belt. The choices are endless.
The offerings from the major players are also clues as to what will be super hot.
Karen Walker has done it again this is one of my favourite ranges this season. Her aptly named Fantastique Magnifique campaign is all about pretty prints with her signature tomboyish shapes mixed in with feminine pieces, pastels and deliciously decadent cashmere jumpers for chilly winter days. The colours reflect a quirky twist on a galactic theme. Forget traditional blacks or autumnal tones. Instead, start your seasonal collection with colours such as pink, camel and powder-blue shot with bolts of orange, Malibu blue and bronze. Overall, the collection is soft and effective. All the items are easily wearable and confidence building. In true Karen Walker style, this collection has the amazing ability to transform Jane Doe into a fashionista with one simple garment. Style two or three pieces together and nobody will pass you by without a second look.
Ruby’s elegant Liam collection is well-tailored and sophisticated—not to mention crisp, with winter whites, ruby reds and olives.
Sylvester chases the winter trend of whimsical prints and Bohemian styles cleverly mixed with nautical stripes to pack some punch.
TK’s clever, talented and charming Turet Knuermann never fails to delight. She describes her collection as ‘‘effortlessly elegant and easy to wear’’ and you can always rely on her winter line to deliver sophisticated, clean design in luxurious fabrics.‘‘For our winter range we have put together a collection to prepare you for anything, from relaxed and casual to glamorous eveningwear that embraces the body,’’ says Turet.
KEY pieces you won’t want to miss out on this season include the must-have jumpsuit—teamed with gorgeous flats, or dressed up with killer heels, it’s a holiday essential. Pair with our beautifully tailored suit jacket (see picture on facing page) The suit pants come in irresistible colours: caramel, Swedish blonde, striking white and, of course, polished black. Our beloved Phoenix Dress is coming back in a longer length for a more slinky look. It will also be available in deep brights and sultry colours, so you