The good old shirt – once considered a bit ‘fuddy duddy’ and nothing that we would consider wearing as a fashion item is now a MUST have wardrobe essential for most women. I cannot stress enough to women the versatility of having a great shirt – and best of all they don’t date!
The brand that I see as the biggest influence on brining back the shirt is the brand Equipment. Only specialising in shirts the brand was originally launched in 1975 by Christian Restoin and revived in 2010 by Current/ Elliott the Equipment shirt has history, cache and class. Originally inspired by Katherine Hepburn and Lauren Bacall's sassy man style shirting, Restoin's 1970's version gave our mothers super stylish high jeans with a rolled sleeved shirt look.
Restoin's wife is doing the shirt justice almost 40 years later... hello Carine Roitfeld.
And now a shirt style is in most brands and there are some amazing ones out there and they are so versatile and can be worn in so many ways!
Here is my picks for the season when it comes to The Shirt:
1. Busy Mum – chuck on the Karen Walker (chambray style shirt) with a pair of skinny jeans and chucks. Comfortable, stylish and perfect for school drop offs then coffee or catch up wit the girls.
2. Working Style – team the Liam Decided Shirt under a blazer, loose over black pants or tucked into a pencil skirt – super chic, super business.
3. Street Chic – Grab an equipment shirt – or even maybe two, you need at least that many for your wardrobe and a pair of super skinny wax pants and the look is complete. Team it with chunky jewellery and oversized classes and you might get mistaken for Mrs Moss!
4. The boyfriend shirt – Many button down boyfriend shirts are long and loose enough to be worn as a dress, offering super style and super comfort! Switch up the look with flats or a pair of heels to make your look a little dressier. This is a super sexy and chic look for Winter!
5. Classic White Shirt - And last but not least the classic white shirt – a wardrobe staple that never goes out of style EVERY women should own one! They are fresh, flattering and can be worn in many different ways to achieve different looks. Buttoned and collar up means business, oversized and with flats is dresses it down, white on white, white back with denim- Sharon Stone even wore wone to the Oscars!
But don't forget - Weekend Manstyle – and there’s nothing as hot as a man in a shirt. Checkered, plain, spots buttoned up or worn casually they even work for men.
SHOP EQUIPMENT SHIRTS HERE